Four Tabbed 1st #AEFH Weekly Award Winners of 2014
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - Albany and UMass Lowell each went unbeaten over Labor Day weekend to start the 2014 field hockey season. The Great Danes posted three wins, beating Hofstra, Bryant and Ohio State while the River Hawks downed La Salle and Longwood. Players from both teams earned the first America East weekly awards of the year. Here are the winners:
Co-Player of the Week
Paula Heuser, Albany, So., Midfielder, Monchengladbach
- Tallied 14 points in three games last week, all Albany wins.
- The reigning America East Midfielder and Rookie of the Year scored three times and had an assist in a 7-0 win over Hofstra Friday.
- Scored in the Great Danes' 2-0 win over Bryant Saturday
- Racked up five more points (2G, 1A) in a 4-0 win over Ohio State Monday.
Co-Player of the Week
Bianca Jones, UMass Lowell, Sr., Forward, Watertown, Mass.
- Scored twice in each of UMass Lowell's games last week, both wins.
- Had both scores in a 2-0 over La Salle Saturday.
- Found the back of the cage twice in a 4-3 overtime win over Longwood Sunday.
- Scored with just 51 seconds left in the second overtime to lift her team over Longwood.
Defensive Player of the Week
Maxi Primus, Albany, So., Goalkeeper, Berlin, Germany
- Did not allow a goal in three games last week posting shutout wins over Hofstra, Bryant and Ohio State.
- Made five saves, including a season-high three against the Pride Friday.
Rookie of the Week
Anna Bottino, Fr., Midfielder, Clifton Park, N.Y.
- Tallied six points in her first collegiate action, scoring twice and adding two assists.
- Had a goal and two assists in the win over Hofstra Friday.
- Scored in the win over Ohio State Monday.
- Albany posted three wins over the weekend, outscoring Hofstra, Bryant and Ohio State, 14-0.
- The Great Danes are 3-0 for the second-straight year.
- UMass Lowell matched last season's win total with victories over La Salle and Longwood.
- Maine beat Central Michigan, 4-0, in its opener behind a pair of goals from Cassidy Svetek.
- Fairfield picked up its first win of the season, a 2-1 victory over UC-Davis Saturday.
Sept. 2 - Co-Players of the Week: Paula Heuser, Albany/Bianca Jones, UMass Lowell; Defensive Player of the Week: Maxi Primus, Albany; Rookie of the Week: Anna Bottino, Albany