Schmidt's 19 Kills Leads UMBC To 3-1 Win Over Binghamton Friday
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - UMBC and Binghamton kicked-off the second half of the America East volleyball season on Friday night with the Retrievers snatching a, 3-1, win over the Bearcats to earn a split of the season series.
at UMBC (11-13, 4-3 AE) 3, Binghamton (7-16,
4-3 AE) 1
- The Retrievers earned a split of the season series with the Bearcats with a, 3-1, win on Friday night. Binghamton won the first meeting between the two teams on Sept. 21.
- Both teams hit well, with UMBC recording a .293 hitting percentage and Binghamton hitting .254.
- The Retrievers had three players in double-digit kills, with Hannah Schmidt leading the way with 19 kills and nine digs. Katie Kelly had 14 kills and hit .419.
- Kristin Hovie led Binghamton with 13 kills and nine digs.
- Binghamton jumped-out to a 10-6 lead in the first set, but UMBC responded with seven-straight points and never trailed again in the frame.
- The Bearcats also led early in the second set (8-7), but UMBC scored 17 of the final 24 points to go up, 2-0, in the match.
Saturday, October 20
New Hampshire (12-10, 4-2 AE) at Providence (1-23,
0-6 AE), 4 p.m.
- The Wildcats swept the Friars back in the conference-opener for both teams on Sept. 22.
- New Hampshire has lost back-to-back matches after starting conference play, 4-0. The Wildcats lead the America east in kills per set (12.67) and assists (11.73).
- Providence;s Cassie Muzzonigro is fourth in the conference in digs at 4.12 per set.
Sunday October 21
- Albany topped Hartford, 3-1, in both teams' conference opener on Sept. 23.
- The Great Danes sit atop the America East with a perfect 6-0 mark. The squad has won 49 of its last 52 conference matches.
- The Hawks are coming off a big win against New Hampshire, beating the Wildcats for the first time since 1996.