Rufo, Binghamton Stay Hot With Sweep of #19 Va. Tech; Highlight #AEBASE Week 3 Awards
BOSTON - Binghamton baseball made some noise on the national scene last week, sweeping then-No. 19 Virginia Tech in a four-game series to improve to 7-3 on the year. The Bearcats have the No. 17 RPI in the nation entering the week. UMass Lowell also picked-up an ACC win, defeating Notre Dame over the weekend. Here are the week three award winners:
Player of the Week
Paul Rufo, Binghamton, Jr., SS, Cedar Grove, N.J.
- Hit .476 (10-for-21) to lead Binghamton's offense in a four-game swee of No. 19 Virginia Tech.
- He tied a career-high with 5 RBIs in game two.
- Finished with a .500 on-base percentage and a .524 slugging percentage.
- Also scored four runs and totaled 6 RBIs for the week.
Pitcher of the Week
Jacob Christian, UMBC, So., RHP, Nokesville, Va.
- Tossed 7.2 innings of shutout baseball in a win over Gardner Webb.
- Surrendered just two hits without issuing a walk.
- Struck out a career-high 12 batters on 97 pitches.
- Had a perfect game through 4.1 innings.
Rookie of the Week
Marc Wangenstein, Albany, Fr., OF, Ronkonkoma, N.Y.
- Hit .444 (4-for-9) with a 1.222 slugging percentage in four games last week.
- Slugged two home runs, two doubles and drove in four runs for the week.
- Had two home runs and three RBIs in a win over San Francisco.
Weekly Award Winners
Feb. 21 - Player of the Week: Russ Olive, UMass Lowell; Pitcher of the Week: Nick Silva, Maine; Rookie of the Week: Michael Wilson, Stony Brook
Feb. 28 - Player of the Week: Justin Yurchak, Binghamton; Pitcher of the Week: Nick Silva, Maine; Rookie of the Week: Austin Young, UMass Lowell
March 6 - Player of the Week: Paul Rufo, Binghamton; Pitcher of the Week: Jacob Christian, UMBC; Rookie of the Week: Mac Wangenstein, Albany