Albany, UMass Lowell Earn #AEBASE Week 5 Awards
BOSTON - The Albany Great Danes went 3-0 last week, sweeping Hofstra to highlight the America East baseball schedule. UMass Lowell also continued its strong play, winning two of three non-conference games last week. Both conference series that were scheduled for last week were canceled due to weather, but league play will begin this weekend with three series scheduled. Here are the week five award winners:
Player of the Week
Kyle Sacks, Albany, Sr., OF, Clifton Park, N.Y.
- Hit .545 with a .583 on-base percentage and a .636 slugging percentage in a 3-0 week.
- Finished 6-for-11 with a run scored an an RBI as the Great Danes swept Hofstra.
- Went 1-for-3 with a double and a run scored to open the series against the Pride.
- Had four hits in game two of the series.
Pitcher of the Week
Kenny McLean, Albany, So., LHP, Westfield, Mass.
- Allowed just one run in 6.2 innings without issuing a walk in a win over Hofstra.
- Struck out six while surrendering just four hit.
Rookie of the Week
John Polichetti, UMass Lowell, Fr., IF, Atkinson, N.H.
- Hit .300 with six RBIs and three runs scored in a 2-1 week.
- Had a pair of hits, two runs scored and three RBIs in a win over William & Mary.
- Went 1-for-4 with a run scored and three RBIs in a win over Towson.
Weekly Award Winners
Feb. 21 - Player of the Week: Russ Olive, UMass Lowell; Pitcher of the Week: Nick Silva, Maine; Rookie of the Week: Michael Wilson, Stony Brook
Feb. 28 - Player of the Week: Justin Yurchak, Binghamton; Pitcher of the Week: Nick Silva, Maine; Rookie of the Week: Austin Young, UMass Lowell
March 6 - Player of the Week: Paul Rufo, Binghamton; Pitcher of the Week: Jacob Christian, UMBC; Rookie of the Week: Mac Wangenstein, Albany
March 13 - Player of the Week: Chris Sharpe, UMass Lowell; Pitcher of the Week: Jack McClure, Albany; Rookie of the Week: John Polichetti, UMass Lowell
March 21 - Player of the Week: Kyle Sacks, Albany; Pitcher of the Week: Kenny McLean, Albany; Rookie of the Week: John Polichetti, UMass Lowell