Majority of America East Student-Athletes Named to League's Winter/Spring Honor Roll
BOSTON – America East student-athletes continued their impressive record of excelling in the classroom in 2016 as nearly two-thirds of those that competed in winter or spring sports achieved academic Honor Roll status, the conference office announced Thursday afternoon. Honor Roll recognition is bestowed to student-athletes who obtain a semester grade-point average (GPA) of 3.0 higher during their competition season.
"America East student-athletes continue to impress with their hard work and achievements in the classroom all while balancing the rigors of being a Division I student-athlete," said America East Commissioner Amy Huchthausen.
Need to Know
- A total of 1,414 student-athletes who competed in America East sponsored winter and spring sports earned Honor Roll recognition.
- 64.8 percent of the nearly 2,200 America East winter/spring student-athletes earned at least a 3.0 GPA during the 2016 spring semester.
- Of that group, over one-third (33.9 percent) and 714 in total earned Commissioner’s Honor Roll status for registering a GPA of 3.5 or better.
- The University of New Hampshire had the highest percentage of student-athletes achieve Honor Roll status with 68.6 percent.
- America East student-athletes have averaged at least a 3.0 GPA in each of the last 11 years.
2015-16 America East Winter/Spring Honor Roll Stats
School % Total
Programs with Highest Percentage of Honor Roll Student-Athletes
Baseball – Hartford (70%)
Men’s Basketball – UMBC (71%)
Women’s Basketball – *Maine (87%)
Men’s Lacrosse – UMass Lowell (74%)
Women’s Lacrosse – Binghamton (87%)
Softball – UMBC (90%)
Swimming & Diving – Vermont (83%)
Women’s Tennis – Hartford/UMBC (100%)
Men’s Track & Field – Binghamton (78%)
Women’s Track & Field – Binghamton (86%)
America East is proud to have one of most comprehensive academic awards programs in the country, which honors over two-thirds of its student-athletes for their success in the classroom. Learn more about the conference's academic awards program.
About America East: The America East provides its member schools and their athletic programs a platform upon which student-athletes can achieve both collegiate and life success through the promotion and nurturing of athletic excellence, academic achievement and leadership, on and off the field.