5 Student-Athletes Named AE Presidential Scholar-Athletes
BOSTON – Five student-athletes who graduated in December have been named America East Presidential Scholar-Athletes for their outstanding academic achievements throughout their collegiate careers. University at Albany's Taylor Schwoyer, UMBC's Carly Deeter, Patrick Duboyce and Billy Heavner and New Hampshire's Chris Wingate were all recognized with the award.
First bestowed to America East student-athletes in June of 2014, the Presidential Scholar-Athlete award recognizes graduating student-athletes who compiled a cumulative GPA of 3.75 or higher as an undergraduate student.
In addition to registering a 3.75 GPA for their college career, honored student-athletes must have received their undergraduate degree in the academic year they are honored and have attended their institution for a minimum of two years.
In total, 151 elite student-athletes have been honored as part of the program.
2016 Winter America East Presidential Scholar-Athletes
School Name Major GPA Sport
Albany Taylor Schwoyer Human Biology 3.97 Field Hockey
UMBC Carly Deeter Psychology 3.78 Women's Swimming & Diving
UMBC Patrick Duboyce Political Science 3.90 Men's Cross Country
UMBC Billy Heavner Financial Economics 3.78 Men's Soccer
New Hampshire Chris Wingate Business Adminstration 3.76 Men's Soccer
America East is proud to sponsor one of the most comprehensive academic awards programs in the country, honoring over 2,000 student-athletes each year via six unique award categories:
- All-Academic teams comprised of student-athletes that excel both academically and athletically are chosen in each of the conference's 17 sports by a committee consisting of faculty athletic representatives, academic advisors and sports information directors.
- Scholar-Athletes, the best student-athlete who excels both athletically and academically, are chosen in each sport while an overall Male and Female Scholar-Athlete of the Year is also chosen.
- The conference recognizes all student-athletes who achieve at least a 3.0 GPA on its Academic Honor Roll, with those achieving a 3.5 average or better receiving Commissioner's Honor Roll status.
- Presidential Scholar-Athlete awards are bestowed to student-athletes who graduate with a 3.75 GPA.
- Elite 18 awards the student-athlete with the highest GPA competing in each of America East 18 championships.
- The Academic Cup is awarded to the school with the highest cumulative GPA among its student-athletes for that academic year.
About America East
Founded in 1979, the America East Conference consists of nine member institutions, sponsors championships in 17 sports and provides its member schools and their athletic programs a platform upon which student-athletes can achieve both collegiate and life success through the promotion and nurturing of athletic excellence, academic achievement and leadership, on and off the field.
- #3Pillars – Building the Complete Student-Athlete -